Thursday, September 4, 2008

Food Review - Squid

If I remember correctly, the first time I had squid, or Ika, was at my favorite sushi shop called Yoroi. It was one the times I spent all night talking to people and ended up drinking Sho-Chu all night with some old lady. After awhile, she started ordering item after item for us to eat and one of those items was squid. I was instantly hoooked and now it's one of the first things I order when going out.

Squid

You can resonably expect it to be prepared the same way every time, but once when Rory and I ordered it in Fujisawa it came out uncooked with a tiny grill so we could finish the job that the cooks didn't do. No matter how long we left it on the burner, it was still too rubbery and inedibile.

Ika comes in two sections, the first is the body sliced to make O rings. This part is usually a little rubbery, but not too much. The second part is the feet or tentacles which are usually quite crispy. It's typically served with a side of mayo, a lot of salt, and sometimes with sauce on it like the picture above.

Squid 2

It will usually run you about $3-$5 depending on how high class of a restaurant you go to. I think at Yoroi it's about $6, but well worth it. I've made store bought squid twice in my apartment but it's never been too good. I always end up making too much and get sick of it. If you've never had it, I suggest you try it next time you get the chance.

No comments: