Thursday, September 4, 2008

Japanese Lingo - それがし

There are plenty of resources online where you can learn "regular" Japanese, so here I decided to let you know about words and phrases that I learned not from any textbook, but during conversations with native Japanese speakers.

それがし, pronounced "So-Ray-Ga-Shi," is how samurai's used to refer to themselves. As cool as it may seem to use the same word for "I" that the samurai's did, often times people won't understand this word because it's so old. Once they do understand it, it probably won't even get a laugh unless you're talking about samurai's at the time.

I learned it from a guy at T.G.I. Friday's during happy hour if that helps paint the picture any better. Whatever...I still think it's pretty cool.

Here's a quick example sentence:

Kanji: それがしは食べたいです。
Hiragana: それがしはたべたいです。
Romaji: Soregashi wa tabetai desu.
English: I wanna eat.

No comments: