Monday, May 5, 2008

The Chigasaki Adventure

As usual, Rory and I started our night in Fujisawa. We saw a Japanese Beatles cover band and afterwards headed over to Mattari's. It seemed like a normal evening out, so much so that I almost took the last train home. Little did we know we were in for 24 hours of pure madness.

While at Mattari's, a 61 year old woman walked by our table and instantly took a liking to Rory. They exchanged cell phone numbers to go "fishing" sometime and I used weirdness as an opportunity to meet some new friends, Mitch and Ria. We all laughed as Rory worked his magic on the blue-plate-special-adult-diaper demographic. Later they invited us to the Enoshima Cookout and we talked about women for quite some time.

Image

Mattari's finally closed at around 2am or so and we began to wander aimlessly around the streets, talking to any girl we saw. We later saw two hostesses getting off work so I asked them what was fun to do in Fujisawa. Somehow I don't think that kind of line would work in America, but perhaps because of the niceness of the Japanese combined with the novelty of a white dude speaking Japanese, it makes for a pretty good ice breaker. The two girls told us to wait for another hostess who spoke English so of course we did.

The next girl asked us if we want to meet girls, which seemed very shady to me. I thought we were going to get into some kind weird prostitution thing, but before I knew what was going on I was in a van with Rory, the hostess named Mai, and a silent male driver. As we barreled down the streets, the hostess kept talking and driver never even looked at us. After a few minutes we were in Chigasaki and went to a tiny bar where we stayed until 5am.

Image

Everything was cool there. They had a guitar which I played for hours. There were a couple guys who were totally sauced, and one girl who I later learned quit school in Middle School because she didn't like crowds. An interesting crowd to say the least. The dude in white shirt from the above picture sang the hell out of some weird traditional Japanese song and then passed out. I shot a video.



At about 5am we were about to leave when a huge fight broke out between three new people who came in. There were chairs and glasses thrown, some very informal Japanese that sounded Spanish, and lots of hair pulled. Rory and the bartender tried to break up the fight and I watched from outside. Every couple minutes things would cool down, only to start right back up seconds later. This went on for awhile and then we went to Mai's house to sleep along with the other girl from the bar.

I was able to get a couple hours of sleep as the girl from the bar watched me all night chain-smoking with a blanket wrapped around her. The next day we hit the beach which was having a big festival. Somehow, we met a ton of new people and went to several bars where we danced in the street to Bob Marley for hours on end.

Image

We then went to another bar where things we a little more chilled out. We listened to some Dub for a couple hours and then I had to leave to go to a date that I was way too tired for. There were some details I may be forgetting but that's mostly it. I'm definitely looking forward to spending some time in Chigasaki this summer.

Brad

Music: Myspace.com/TheNationalPool
Email: thenationalpool@gmail.com
Pictures: Flicker/TheNationalPool

No comments: