Friday, May 2, 2008

First Night in Yokohama

I flew out of BWI and headed for Narita in Japan on March 15, 2008 I think. I couldn't sleep the whole flight so I watched No Country For Old Men and Training Day on the flight over. I took Singapore Airlines which sounded scary at first but it was great.

I arrived with a pocket full of United States traveler's checks only to find that nobody wants them or US money over here. I managed to buy a pack of Marlboro lights at the airport with $5 US and the change I got back was the only Yen I had to my name. I took the YCAT bus to Yokoahama Station and I was off.

On a side note, they don't really have Camel Lights over here which sucks. They have a Japanese version of Camel Lights but it's way too far from the real thing for me and they're quite difficult to find in the first place. I've taken to Camel Milds which aren't too bad.

I arrived at Yokohama Station with no Yen and my hands full of luggage. I was stranded in Yokohama station and still need to go a couple stations up. Luckily, after some searching, a girl who worked at a soup shop gave me 200 yen since I couldn't change my money anywhere. From there I went to Sakuragicho where I stayed in a hotel for the first week. On my way from Sakuragicho to my hotel I got quite lost, but met some cool people who helped me out, Mamiya and Moki.


They took me out to Mosburger which I had heard of before I came and wanted to try. It's a fast food restaurant but apparently it has better ingredients and is a little more expensive than your average fast food. After the food and many cigs later, I discovered that Moki was into skateboarding so we went skateboarding at midnight around Yokohama.

I haven't skated in years so it was pretty difficult, but it makes for a pretty cool story of my first night in Japan.

Today I'm going to a cookout if the weather clears up. Either that, or I'm going to watch a parade of wet Samurais or some shit.

Laterz - Brad

Music: Myspace.com/TheNationalPool
Email: thenationalpool@gmail.com
Pictures: Flicker/TheNationalPool

No comments: