Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Chu-Hi by Kirin - Drink Review

Chu-Hi, pronounced "Chew-Hai," is another drink I had never heard of before coming to Japan. The first time I had it was on Enoshima beach as the sun was setting and it was awesome. Here is a picture: L-R (Rory, Brad, and Andrew)

Image

I have no idea what Chu-Hi is made from, but it's clear and almost always has a fruit flavor of some sort such as Lemon or Grapefruit. It goes down smooth and crisp, almost like a super-fizzy Sprite that also gets you drunk. I may have heard somewhere that it's a girl's drink in Japan, but if I'm at the beach this summer and the sun is beating down I'll definitely take Chu-Hi over a beer.

Image

It costs around 200 yen to 250 yen at convenience stores which isn't too bad considering that most beers of the same "Duece-Duece" size are about 300 yen. The usual alchohol percentage is 6%, but Kirin also makes an 8% version as well, most likely for the same price.

I think you can also get this drink at bars and Izakaiyas, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're a guy. In that case, you probably would look like a girl drinking it. But, if you're lounging at the beach or just want to switch it up for a second between beers I think it would be okay.

After doing a little research online, I found out that this stuff is loaded with sugar. If you care about that sort of thing than take it into consideration. Whatever. I love it.

Final Decision: 4 out of 5

Music: Myspace.com/TheNationalPool
Email: thenationalpool@gmail.com
Pictures: Flicker/TheNationalPool


No comments: