Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Trash

So it seems I have some free time today so I'm going make as many posts as I can stand. There are a few things that I've been meaning to write about but haven't found the time yet. Surprisingly, trash is a very big deal in Japan so here's the run down.

Image

The above picture is the end result when you take out the trash from your house. It makes zero sense to me. Every day, the biggest black crowes I've ever seen in my life tear through the covering without fail and have a smogesborg. The crowes here have enormous beaks and I can only assume that they evolved that way from having to get into the trash over the years. Sometimes the bottom of the covering will be lined with chain links but it never really seems to do any good. I would've thought that perhaps somebody had seen a trash can at some point in their life but that's just how they do it here.

There are also different days that each different kind of trash gets picked up. The categories are pretty difficult considering that plastics are lumped into the "Combustible" category, while plastic bottles are not. As a result, the hallway in my apartment was lined with trash for the first month I was in Japan.

Image

Another issue is the trash cans in the street. Often they are nowhere to be found, or you can only find the trash can for aluminum cans or plastic bottles when you all you need is a regular trash can to throw something away. It's pretty frustrating.

One thing that is actually kinda cool once you get used to it is that nobody throws their cigarette butts in the streets like in America. Although it was pretty difficult to get used to at first, it's pretty nice to not see a bunch of cigs on the street everywhere you go. For 100yen you can buy pocket sized plastic pouches lined with aluminum to put your butts into. Some people take it another step further and buy a separate device where you actually ash into as you smoke which seems pretty pointless to me since it just blows away instantly anyway.

Image

As far as trash goes, I think I covered just about everything. Word.



No comments: