Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Truth - Deodorant In Japan

As an foreigner, I was very surprised by a lot of things when I came to Japan. Additionally, I think there are a lot of misconceptions about Japan, and for whatever it's worth, I'm going to throw my two cents in.

Image

With that said, lets talk about deodorant. Like most people, it's not something that I ever took into consideration before. You just buy it, put it on, whatever. It's deodorant. Who cares. But, from everything I've seen, they don't really have any deodorant in Japan.

After scrounging through two grocery stores and asking every employee, I was able to find one weird ass roll-on thing for about 650 yen...that's almost $7! Furthermore, even when doing the "Hey look! I'm putting deodorant on!" motion to show what I wanted since I didn't know how to say it in Japanese, they had no idea what I wanted.

For the time being, I'm doing okay since my Dad sent a care package to me loaded with the Old Spice red deodorants that I'd gotten so used to. Pure Sport...Aqua Reef...you know what I'm talkin' about. Also, I think I've got a good line on deodorant with someone who lives on the American base in Yokosuka so all should be well.

Image

What tripped me out even more than the fact that deodorant is rare in Japan, is that I actually have an old roommate in America and after telling him this story I learned that he has never used deodorant and never stinks. After all my research before coming here, I had no idea. Comments...?

Music: Myspace.com/TheNationalPool
Email: thenationalpool@gmail.com
Pictures: Flicker/TheNationalPool

1 comment:

Drew Bendell said...

We were heading back home to St. Paul, MN form Bali this last year and had a layover in Tokyo. Not only did we fall in love with Chu-Hi and got crazy drunk off it at the airport, but we also went deodorant hunting in the gift shops. We couldn't find it anywhere. Finally we bought some little roller type thing that looked like it could be deodorant. When we put it on, however, it made our armpits burn!! It was terrible. Your Deodorant troubles help me better understand our deodorant problems... Weird!